In a game that neither team seemed to want the Bills stunned the Jets in overtime 16-13 as Rian Lindell hit a 47 yard field goal with 2:49 to go in the extra session to give the Bills the win. Lindell missed from 46 yards at the end of regulation to send the Bills to their first overtime appearance in 96 games. Paul Posluszny got the last of six interceptions that setup the winning field goal. The Jets had lined up for a winning kick earlier in overtime but a bobbled snap led to another interception. The Bills tied the game with 10 third quarter points including a 37 yard catch and run touchdown pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Lee Evans.
The Turning Point:
Poz returned from a cramp and picked off a pass on a third and 10 play at the Jets 46. His pick setup the game winning drive of nine plays that went 29 yards before Lindell's kick.
The Big Drive:
It was the Bills lone touchdown drive. It went 64 yards in six plays with half of them coming on the final play, a 37 yard touchdown catch and run by Evans. The Big play of this drive was an illegal contact penalty on Lito Sheppard that negated an interception. The drive tied the score at 13.
Stat of the Game:
The Bills recorded six interceptions which tied a club record and is the most since 1967.
What You Don't See On The Stat Sheet:
The Jets showed no fear of the Bills offense on their first series when a 3rd and 3 run went for two yards. They chose to accept a holding penalty on Eric Wood instead of giving the Bills a 4th and 1 inside the 5 yard line. The move pushed them back and the Bills got an early field goal.
- Stupid penalties continue to hurt Bills. 12 men on the field penalty on a punt gave the Jets the ball back and they drove for a field goal. Holding and false start penalties short circuited the Bills in the red zone in the first quarter forcing them to settle for a field goal. An illegal block in the back penalty brought back a long kickoff return on the opening possession of the second half.
- Thomas Jones had 135 yards on two carries in the 2nd quarter. Jones had a career high 64 yard run to setup a field goal. He topped it on his next carry as he went 71 yards for a score.
- Bills special teams are officially awful. Besides the two big penalties, Josh Reed allowed a punt late in the first half to go off his leg and give the Jets the ball back luckily that one didn't hurt as Jay Feely missed a field goal.
- Two trips to the Jets 6 ended in two field goals.
- They were way too tentative near the end of the game in just settling for a 46 yard field goal attempt into the wind. They seemed to learn their lesson by taking the shot deep late in OT that Lee Evans pulled in but was overturned by review. Lindell hit the long kick after the overturned call for the win.
The Bills won the game but that is mainly because the Jets didn't really want it. The mistakes that have been there failing to convert third downs, stupid penalties, struggles in the red zone were all there. Dick Jauron just coaches not too lose and this time he got the win but if it wasn't for the Jets getting flagged for 14 penalties of their own he may have lost this one as well. It got very comical in overtime as it seemed destined for a tie before the Jets turned the ball over one time too many. A win is a win and it is a division win no less. Something that hasn't happened since 2007 so it will be a happy Monday in Buffalo.
The Bills head to Carolina to take on a Panthers team that has overcome early season struggles to win two straight. Carolina is a tough place to play, and their confidence is high so it won't get any easier for the Bills who are now a game out of second place.